Over the years, I have tested, tried out, and sometimes kept using literally hundreds of social media tools and apps. Some are good, and a few of them are great, but a lot are pretty useless or pointless!.
To save you the trouble of having to hunt down the top tools around, I have produced this list of what I think are the best tools and apps available right now. They offer a mixture of features and functions including things that monitor and alert you to mentions of your brand/organisation anywhere online, social media analytics, auto publishing/posting/tweeting, Facebook Page apps and much more besides.
I have used these tools extensively, so can vouch for their usefulness when needing to manage an organisations social media accounts. This list is far from exhaustive, and I will look to add more useful links as I find them.
Feel free to get in touch if you need help in using any of them or if you have any items I have missed of this list or you think I (and others) may like to know about.
I hope you find this list a useful resource, and remember the best bit…these are all FREE (or have are free to use basic plan).
The FREE Social Media apps and tools list – Jan 2012
Twitter analytics tools
- www.twittercounter.com - Simple but highly useful tool I like a lot to gauge growth of twitter account + see how we compare with other similar orgs
- www.tweetreach.com – This helps you track reach/impressions of twitter hashtag campaigns, individual key tweets, spot who retweets us and how much impact it has had. I use it a lot.
- www.klout.com - A tool to help benchmark/monitor our social media impact and influence (am starting to use less as think it’s more for fun than real measurement)
- www.peerindex.com - As like Klout
- www.kred.ly - A tool like Klout, but newer
- http://tweetlevel.com/ - A simpler tool like Klout
- www.twitalyzer.com - Same as Klout, but more comprehensive in parts
- http://www.tweettronics.com/home – A simple Twitter analytics tool that lists mentions, retweets, reach etc
- http://twoolr.com/ – A good Twitter analytics tool I use
- http://twittergrader.com/ – As it says, grades your account on Twitter to help you improve how you use it or present it
- http://trendsmap.com/ – A cool Twitter trends mapping tool that can zoom anywhere in world to see what’s trending at country/city level + lots of stats
- http://tweepi.com/ – A Twitter follower/cleaner tool. Helps you choose who to follow, stop following and get discovered
Twitter sentiment analysis tools
- http://twitrratr.com/ – The best Twitter sentiment tool that measures how positive or negative comments are that mention you online (use with pinch of salt)
- http://twittersentiment.appspot.com – As above
- http://www.tweetfeel.com – As above
Social media monitoring / Auto posting tools
- www.tweetdeck.com – An app that helps monitor and schedule posts on social media accounts
- www.hootsuite.com - As Tweetdeck but has better functionality for scheduling Facebook Page posts
- http://twitterfeed.com/ – The best tool to get your websites RSS feed auto-posting to Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Google+ etc + lots of control & customisation
- www.socialmetion.com - A good tool that searches all over web inc blogs, tweets, Facebook, RSS etc to find keywords or your orgs name or social media mentions + gives a score on reach
- http://www.cotweet.com/ – A Social media monitoring + auto post scheduling etc
- http://topsy.com/ - This tool allows you to set social media alerts that email you if you/your org is mentioned online or keywords mentioned online
Facebook Page apps
- ContactMe Facebook Page app: http://www.facebook.com/add.phpapi_key=4ec949726780745d5e2391002f010b7a&pages. A great FREE app to have a contact us function on your Facebook Page -
- AddressMap Facebook Page app: http://www.facebook.com/add.phpapi_key=8b2d867eae91be3ed2cab51e97f7777b&pages=1 - Another free app that lets you put a map function showing office location on your page.
- Involver Facebook Page apps: http://www.involver.com/utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=FreeApps&utm_campaign=Free%2BApplications - These free apps including the ability to have your orgs YouTube channel and main video on your Facebook Page.
- JobCastNet Facebook Page app: http://apps.facebook.com/jobcastnet/install - This free app lets you have a recruitment jobs listing function on your Facebook Page.
- RSSGraffiti Facebook Page app: http://apps.facebook.com/rssgraffiti/ – Facebook specific RSS feed auto posting tool
- SocialRSS Facebook Page app: http://apps.facebook.com/socialrss/ - Same as RSSGraffiti
- http://gplus.to/ - Free tool takes your URL for Google+ page that’s long ugly URL with numbers, converts to vanity URL like http://gplus.to/(yournamehere)